Tuesday, September 7, 2010

mounting the coil

This weekend i wanted to get rid of the ugly yellow Harley Davidson coil that was violating the engine compartment of my Ami 6 but when i dug through the box of parts that came with the car i found that i only had 1 functioning coil mount. Normally i would have used a bunch of high tech software and machinery to clone the piece. But it was a holiday weekend and i didn't feel like putting on shoes and driving to the office so i made do with what i had in the garage.


oh no, only one functioning mount
on no... need a new primary mount

first i carved out a crude mold from a chunk of wax
crude ass mold

then i poured in some two part resin

the resulting part was not pretty
that looks gross

but with a little carving, sanding and massaging i was going to be able to get pretty close
a little more shaping needed

the original mount
original primary mount

the home made version
home made primary mount

mounted and inplace
naked nose

after getting the coil in, i wanted to check the points gap and set the timing.
It's nice that the points are located conveniently behind the cooling fan.
points and condensor located conveniently behind the fan

No comments:

Post a Comment